The Melbourne Rules : An Esoteric History compiled by Brian Membrey

(SRN Serial Regimental Number - up until 1917, this were allotted independently within each battalion as servicemen embarked and could be duplicated dozens of times across the A.I.F. The number did not apply to commissioned officers (Second Lieutenant of higher)

Name BAUD, Alfred Miller   SRN  1852

Occupation : Telegraphist

Rank : Sapper, 3 Divisional Signal Company [Nos 1051-1869]  

Age : 22  Height 177 Weight 76

Enlisted 31/07/1915   Embarked 10/11/1915

Next Of Kin : Father, William Samuel BAUD, Nagambie

Football career : 1913-15 (Carlton), 53 games, 16 goals

Military : He is shown on the Australian War Memorial embarkation roll as BAND.  Baud was promoted to Corporal in April, 1916, and to Sergeant the following month.  He spent most of July and August of that year on hospital with an unspecified illness, and on September 30, suffered a gunshot wound to the head. After several months in hospital, he was repatriated to Australia for discharge, leaving England on March 18, 1918. Born Nagambie, 20 September 1892, died West Heidelberg (Repatriation Hospital?), 5 December 1986 (aged 94)

Name : BURLEIGH, Herbert  SRN : 2877, later Lieutenant

Occupation : Student Teacher

Rank : Acting Sergeant, 29 Infantry Battalion - 1 to 6 Reinforcements   (November 1915 - April 1916)

Age : 23  Height : 183 Weight : 78

Enlisted : 29/07/1915   Embarked : 04/04/1916

Next Of Kin : Father, John Burleigh, Nirranda, Victoria

Football career : 1914-1919 (Carlton), 32 games, 55 goals

Military Prior to enlisting, he was a student in training at the Teachers' College, Carlton. While training in England, he was sent to the Officer Cadet Battalion, and was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant in March, 1917, and Lieutenant on 28 September, 1917.  Just a week after,  he suffered a severe gunshot wound to the forearm. He was classified as incapacitated and left England for Australia 25 November, 1917.  Born Nirranda (via Colac), 14 June 1892, died 2 November 1975 (aged 83, not registered in Victoria). His eldest son, Herbert Keith BURLEIGH was later a Sergeant in the R.A.A.F. and was killed in a flying accident in England on 15 December, 1943 while attached to the R.A.F. Herbert senior was shown as an Inspector of Schools at Maryborough on his son’s Attestation.

Name : CHALLIS, George David SRN  2595

Occupation : Clerk, Victoria Railways

Rank : Private, 58th Battalion (Infantry)

Age : 24  Height : 171 Weight : 77

Enlisted : 2/08/1915    Embarked : 27/10/1915

Next Of Kin Father, Charles Challis, Cleveland, Tasmania

Football career : 1912-15 (Carlton), 70 games, 16 goals; previously a regular Tasmanian State representative

Military : Challis had spent over three years with the Volunteer Cadets in Tasmania. He is believed to have been initially rejected from service because of two deformed toes which crossed over, but later accepted as recruiting levels dropped and the standards were lowered. Callis embarked as a Private (23 Infantry Battalion - 1 to 8 Reinforcements (May 1915 - January 1916) and promoted to Sergeant in March, 1916.  He was Killed In Action four miles south of Armentieres, France on 25 July, 1916 when a heavy-calibre German artillery shell dropped into his trench.  His remains were interred in the Rue-Petillon Military Cemetery, Fleurbaix, France. Born 9 February 1891, Cleveland, Tasmania.

Name : COLLINS, Harold SRN  3263, later Lieutenant

Occupation : Stock-keeper, Kodak

Rank Private, 5 Infantry Battalion - 1 to 12 Reinforcements (December 1914 - November 1915)

Age 21 Height 175 Weight 76

Enlisted 6/07/1915 Embarked 11/10/1915

Next Of Kin Father, North Fitzroy.

Football career : 1912, 1915-15 (Fitzroy) 6 games, 0 goals

Military Collins obviously proved a fine recruit in the wider conflict, being promoted to the rank of Lieutenant by 1917, after serving in Egypt and sailing to France. He was wounded three times and awarded a Distinguished Conduct Medal for capturing a German block-house.  Then Lieutenant Collins, he was killed in action at Villiers, France on August 10, 1918.  He was earlier wounded three times and awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. Buried at Heath Cemetery, Harbonnieres, France. Born Fitzroy, 3 August 1892. He is believed to have played with Preston in the Victorian Junior Football Association between he two tries with Fitzroy, he had two brothers with more extensive League careers : Goldsmith “Goldy” Collins, 1922-24, 1926-28 (Fitzroy); 64 games, 9 goals; and Norman Collins, 1924-25 (Fitzroy), 4 games, 1 goal; 1926-25, 1929-31 (Carlton), 57 games, 14 goals, 1931-33 (Hawthorn), 31 aames, 0 goals.  Both were too young to have seen First World War service

Name DANKS, Arthur Beethoven SRN  6331

Occupation Fireman, Victorian Railways

Rank Gunner, 4 FAB [Field Artillery Brigade] (November 1915)  Age 23  Height 170 Weight 75

Enlisted 12/08/1915   Embarked 18/11/1915

Next Of Kin Mother (widowed), Mrs Gertrude Danks, Station Street, Port Melbourne

Football Career : 1912-15 (Richmond) 48 games, 2 goals

Military Danks proved something of a handful for the A.I.F., being convicted at various times of being Absent Without Leave, leaving a parade without permission, and then while in France, striking a local civilian.  He was also hospitalized twice with venereal disease.  He embarked to return to Australia on 24 April, 1919, his departure delayed by another spell in hospital, the reasons for which were not given. Born Port Melbourne, 5 September 1891, died Brighton, 25 December 1964 (aged 73). A brother who also enlisted, William Haydn Danks known, played 45 games for Port Melbourne in the Victorian Football Association.

Name EVANS, John Adrian SRN  3736

Occupation : Boot Trade

Rank : Sergeant, 6th Infantry Battalion (September-November 1915)

Age : 24  Height : 173 Weight : 72

Enlisted : 21/07/1915 Embarked : 23/11/1915

Next Of Kin : Father, John D. Evans, Windsor

Football Career : 1912-15, 1919 (Melbourne) 61 games, 5 goals

Military Known as "Dodger", Jack Evans was decorated with the Military Medal in France in December, 1917, some weeks after he was wounded severely in the right thigh; one report suggesting the quadriceps was virtually blown away. He was returned to Australia in February, 1918 and discharged, but in 1919 was one of a handful of wounded servicemen with the Melbourne club offered a final game in acknowledgement of the contribution to the war (similar to "Bluey" Truscott's match in WW2. Born Mount Egerton, 28 March 1891, died Preston, 22 October 1966 (aged 75)

Name FIELDING, Alfred "Fred" (alias GLEESON, James) SRN  5596

Occupation : Clerk

Rank : Private, 28 Infantry Battalion - 9 to 18 Reinforcements (February-December 1916)  

Age : 21  Height : 167 Weight : 73

Enlisted : 7/04/1915 Embarked : 3/07/1916

Next Of Kin "Cousin" Winifred Fielding, Albert Park (actually his sister)

Football Career : 1911 (South Melbourne) 1 game, 0 goals; 1913 (Collingwood), 17 games, 10 goals

Military : For reasons unknown, Fielding served in the A.I.F. under the alias "James Gleeson" - James his father's given name, Gleeson, his mother's maiden name - and claimed both his parents were dead, nominating a cousin, Winifred (actually his sister), in Albert Park as his next-of-kin.  Regardless of his army identity, he was alwayd referred to as Fielding in reports of the Camp match.For reasons unknown, he did not embark for nearly fifteen months after enlisting and was diagnosed with venereal disease while being transported to England.  He was found guilty on two charges, being off-limits without a pass while in the front line, and of being A.W.L.  Fielding was wounded in the shoulder by a shell explosion in September, 1917 and did not return to his unit until May of the following year.  He was reported wounded again on 8 August, 1918, later changed Killed In Action on that date on 17 August after eyewitnesses suggested he had been blown to pieces by shell fire and buried, but like many others during artillery barrages, the grave was obliterated and his remains never found.  His remains were never located and his death is commemorated at the Villers-Bretonneux Memorial, Picardie, France; he was also listed on the Honour Roll at South Melbourne Hall as “GLEESON, J”. Born Bendigo, 6 September 1889.

"He was killed instantly by shell fire on August 8th, 1918 on the east side of Villers Bretonneux and buried near a railway line in a Cemetery. The grave was marked by a Cross". (Informant:- Pte. Greenwood, No. 1490, 88th Battalion)

Name : HEINZ, George Victor SRN  : 276/14300

Occupation : Clerk

Rank : Staff Sergeant, Sea Transport Staff - 1 to 10 Sections (July 1916 - December 1918)

Age : 24  Height : 166 Weight : 67

Enlisted : 27/07/1915 Embarked : 28/07/1916

Re-enlisted : 17/12/1915   

Next Of Kin Mother (widowed) Mrs Louisa Heinz, Newmarket Hotel, Geelong  

Football Career : 1910-1914 (Geelong) 87 games 71 goals; 1919-1925 (Melbourne) 106 games, 97 goals; 1927 (St. Kilda) 1 game, 1 goal.

Military Heinz was the odd man out amongst the group in that he actually enlisted twice. He originally enlisted on 27 July, 1915 (Service Number 276), nominating his vocation as "Clerk" and was assigned to the Australian Motor Corps, but in a somewhat rare case of the military actually matching a soldier's skills to a meaningful role in the A.I.F., Heinz was discharged on 15 December, 1915, "for the purpose of enlisting in the Masseurs Corps".  He re-enlisted two days later (as 14300) and where it was noted that he had spent 142 days with the AMC and had "an excellent discharge".

Heinz served with the 1st Sea Transport Staff on board the HMAT Themistocles, formerly a troop carrier, but later converted to a hospital ship for the repatriation of wounded back to Australia. He was discharged from the Sea Transport Staff in December, 1917, and returned to Australia to serve with the Home Masseurs Corps, treating patients at the Mont Park Hospital, then being used as a repatriation centre for wounded servicemen.

All his war service records are under the name "Heinz", but before he joined Melbourne (as captain) in 1919, he had changed his name by deed poll to "Haines", the name under which most of his football history now appears.  It is believed he changed the name because the Germanic link, but both of his parents, George (who was deceased) and Louisa were actually born in the 1860s in Ballarat. Born Ballarat East, 8 October 1891, died Mount Eliza, 3 October 1966 (aged 74, shown as HAINES)

Name : HERON, Percy SRN  : 832

Occupation : Cabinetmaker/coach-smith

Rank : Private, 29 Infantry Battalion (November 1915)

Age : 23  Height : 164  Weight :72

Enlisted : 15/07/1915  Embarked : 10/11/1915

Next Of Kin : Father, Hugh Heron, Charles Street, Northcote

Football Career : 1912-1915 (Fitzroy) 46 games, 17 goals

Military : Heron served as a Fitter with the 6th Field Artillery and was wounded in the right thigh in September, 1917, spending six months in England before returning to his unit in France in April, 1918.  He returned to Australia in April, 1919.  Three brothers, Hugh, James and Edward, all from Northcote also enlisted and survived the war, although two were repatriated wounded back to Australia. Born Prahran, 25 December 1892, died Heidelberg (Repatriation Hospital) August 1950 (aged 57)

Name JACKSON, James SRN  3370  

Occupation Leather Trunk Maker

Rank Private, 14 Infantry Battalion - 5 to 12 Reinforcements  (April-November 1915)

Age 25 Height 170 Weight 70

Enlisted 16/07/1915 Embarked 11/10/1915

Next Of Kin Mother, Mrs Martha Jackson. Connell-street, Hawthorn (later in Chetwynd-dtreet, North Melbourne)

Football Career : 1909 (St. Kilda) 1 game, 0 goals, 1910-15, 1920 (Collingwood) 93 games, 22 gaols; Hawthorn (1925-26) 22 games, 1 goal)

Military James Jackson's military career was relatively uneventful. He embarked with an infantry battalion and was transferred to the Field Engineers, serving as a Sapper. In December, 1918, when waiting to return to England, he was hospitalized in France with venereal disease.  A Medical Board later ruled him fit for service and he embarked at Liverpool for return to Australia on 22 May, 1919. Born Maidstone, 28 April 1890, died Hawthorn, 29 August 1976 (aged 86)

Name : KING, George Linton  SRN : 5930

Occupation : Shipwright

Rank : Private, 23 Infantry Battalion (July-November 1916), later Sapper, 6 Field Engineering Company

Age : 25  Height : 183 Weight : 83

Enlisted : 28/06/1915 Embarked : 2/10/1916

Next Of Kin : Mother (widowed), Mrs Margaret King, Moray-street, South Melbourne

Football Career : 1913, 1915-16 (Fitzroy) 15 games, 4 goals

Military : King was unique in the Camp team in that he was the only one that embarked that did not see front-line service.  After enlisting, he spent many months with the Melbourne Military Police at Royal Park (enabling him to play a few games with Fitzroy in 1916, probably the only member of the Camp team to play that season), and after finally embarking in October, 1916, he spent almost four months in hospital suffering with hemorrhoids (one the less glamorous afflictions of military life). After serving in a number of non-combatant roles in England, he was re-admitted to hospital in November, 1917 with gastritis, an illness from which he never recovered.  He was repatriated to Australia in June, 1918, classified as medically unfit for service.   Born South Melbourne, 5 October 1892, died Heidelberg (Repatriation Hospital?), 5 May 1976 (aged 83)

Name : LILLEY, Charles Harold  SRN : 19632

Occupation : Clerk

Rank : Gunner, 8 FAB [Field Artillery Brigade] (May 1916)

Age : 22  Height : 176 Weight : 74

Enlisted : 20/07/1915 Embarked : 20/05/1916

Next Of Kin : Father, Charles William Lilley, Wangaratta

Football Career : 1913-15, 1919-1925 (Melbourne) 132 games, 5 goals

Military :   Lilley was unusual in that embarked from Sydney, and for unknown reasons, not until some ten months after he enlisted (the average for non-commissioned servicemen was about seven weeks). After being promoted to Corporal in France, he suffered gunshot wounds to the abdomen, chest and thigh on 2 June, 1917 and was repatriated back to a hospital in England.  He suffered further complications from the wounds and left England on 1 November to be discharged as incapacitated. Born Armadale, 3 July 1892, died Heidelberg (Repatriation Hospital?), 16 June 1982 (aged 89)

Name : McINTOSH, Frederick Richard  SRN : N/A

Occupation : Clerk

Rank : 2nd Lieutenant, 59 Infantry Battalion - 6 to 9 Reinforcements  

Age : 23  Height : 169 Weight : 72

Enlisted : 16/07/1915 Embarked : 2/10/1916

Next Of Kin : Sister Pamela McIntosh at Naracoorte, South Australia (both parents deceased)

Football Career : 1913-14 (University), 25 games, 4 goals;  1915 (Essendon) 14 games, 1 goal

Military : Nicknamed "Soldier", McIntosh had spent seven years with the Volunteer Cadets before enlisting, two in his home state of South Australia and five in South Melbourne.  He spent time in Australia as a military instructor before embarking for the Western Front some 14 months after enlisting. McIntosh died of gunshot wounds to the shoulder and neck in the 3rd Canadian Casualty Clearing Station on 28 September, 1917, two days after being admitted.  His remains are buried in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery Belgium. Born Naracoorte, South Australia 23 July 1893

Name : ORCHARD, William Henry  SRN : N/A

Occupation : Accountant

Rank : Lieutenant, 38 Infantry Battalion - 1 to 6 Reinforcements, later Captain

Age : 28  Height : 178 Weight : 75

Enlisted : 26/07/1915 Embarked : 20/06/1916

Next Of Kin : Mother, Ruth Orchard, Moorabool-street, Geelong

Football Career : 1906, 1908-15 (Geelong) 112 games, 67 goals

Military Orchard was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant on arrival in England in December, 1915, to Lieutenant in May, 1916, and to Captain in April, 1917.  He was awarded the Military Cross for his actions in an attack on German trenches in October, 1917. Orchard was wounded twice - oddly enough, both as a result of accidents.  He suffered injuries to the head and right eye in December, 1917, when a rifle grenade exploded prematurely during a training drill.  In September, 1918, he suffered a severe gash to the right leg when he vaulted into a trench and was impaled on a bayonet left stuck in the ground.  He embarked back to Australia on 7 March, 1919. Ex-Geelong Grammar, post-war he became a V.F.L. umpire. Born Geelong, 9 August 1888, died Geelong, 22 July 1965 (aged 76)

Name : RODRIGUEZ, Percy John  SRN : 4478

Occupation : Dental Student

Rank : Acting Sergeant, 23 Infantry Battalion - 9 to 12 Reinforcements   

Age : 23  Height : 166 Weight : 69

Enlisted : 1/06/1915 Embarked : 23/04/2016

Next Of Kin : Father, Filomeno Rodriguez, c-o Continental Hotel, Broome, Western Australia.

Football Career : 1910-12, 1915 (Perth, W.A.F.L) 31 games, 0 goals; 1914 (University) 17 games 1 goal; 1915 (Melbourne) 5 games 1 goal)

Military : For reasons which are not quite clear, Rodriguez remained in Australia for another ten months after enlisting, and despite his medical training, embarked with the rank of Acting Sergeant in the infantry. Later promoted to Acting Second Lieutenant, Rodriguez was Killed In Action on 20 March 1917.  His remains were never recovered and his sacrifice is commemorated at the Villers-Bretonneux Memorial, France. Born Broome, Western Australia, 5 January 1893, his full name was John Filomeno Percival Rodriguez, Filomeno his father’s name.

His younger brother Richard Patrick Gerald "Pat" Rodriquez played 109 games in the W.A.F.L. (West Perth, 1916 4, Subiaco 1918-1927 105) and was later vice-president (1949-50) of the W.A.F.L and then president 1951-until his death in February, 1964. He was also president of the Australian National Football Council from 1956 until 1964 and was admitted to the A.F.L. Hall of Fame in 1996.

Name : SHEEHAN, John Joseph “Jack”  SRN : N/A

Occupation : Electrician

Rank : Sergeant

Age : 25 Height : 165 Weight : 73

Enlisted : 12/07/1915  Embarked  

Next Of Kin : Mother, Eliza Sheehan, Dover-street, Richmond

Football Career : 1911 (Collingwood) 3; 0 goals; 1915, 1917 (Richmond) 14 games, 0 goals

Military : "Jack" was actually John Joseph Sheehan.  He was promoted to Sergeant while at the Ballarat Training Camp, but spent much of the next 12 months in Langwarrin and Macleod Rest Homes following a rectal operation.  He was discharged as medically unfit  in November, 1916, the reason politely given by his Medical Officer a being unable to retain faeces (perhaps complicated by the fact he was also diagnosed with gonorrhea after enlisting). Born South Melbourne, 9 May 1890, died Austin Hospital. Heidelberg “after a long and painful illness” 17 June 1933 (aged 43)

Name : SLOSS, Bruce Moses Farquhar  SRN : N/A

Occupation : Engineer

Rank : Second Lieutenant , 10 Machine Gun Company (May 1916)

Age : 26 Height : 179 Weight : 80

Enlisted 21/07/1915 Embarked 22/05/2016

Next Of Kin : Widowed mother, Christina Sloss, Kooyong-road, Armadale (later at East Malvern).

Football Career : 1907-08 (Essendon) 3 games, 0 goals; 1910-14 (South Melbourne) 81 games, 44 games

Military : Typical of men who embarked as commissioned officers, Sloss spent a considerable time in training here in Australia, in his case, some ten months before shipping for England as a Second Lieutenant. His training continued in the U.K. where he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant in August, 1916. Sloss captained a side representing the Australian International Force's Third Division to a narrow victory over a Combined Training Units team in a special exhibition match held at the Queen's Club, London on 28 October, 1916. He embarked for France in late November and was Killed In Action just five weeks later on 4 January, 1917.  His remains were buried at the Cite Bonjean Military Cemetery, Armentieres, France   Born East Malvern, 28 June, 1889; Brothers 11, James McKenzie, MSM, Australian Flying Corps; 8219, Lance Corporal John Stewart; and 124B, Roy SLOSS all served and returned.  

Name : THOMAS, Claude Edison SRN : 12626

Occupation : Fireman (Railways Department)

Rank : Driver, 4 and 5 Divisional Train - 2 Reinforcements  

Age : 24 Height : 170 Weight : 68

Enlisted : 24/08/1915 Embarked : 8/05/1916

Next Of Kin : Father, William Edward Thomas, St. Kilda (later at Malvern)

Football Career : 1914-1915 (South Melbourne) 13 games, 0 goals

Military  : Private Claude Edison Thomas was Killed In Action near Hamel in France on 5 July, 1918, and is now buried in the Villers-Bretonneux Military Cemetery, Fouilloy, France.  His family, then in Mar. Kilda, suffered another blow just five weeks later when his year-older brother, Rupert Clarence was also Killed In Action at Cersiy Gailly, France. Born Gisborne, 15 April 1891; a third brother Vere Stanley THOMAS, Private, 3634, 8th Infantry also enlisted, returned March, 1919)

The Interchange Bench

There was, of course, no concept of an "interchange bench" or even substitution of injured players for another 15 years in League circles - the old show-business saying (in wishing someone good luck) of "break a leg, and then go out in slay them in the aisles", applied, quite literally, to the football field!

However, to be fair to the Collingwood pair who failed to gain Leave to play, we should perhaps the rules and give them the same coverage as those that actually made it onto the field.

Name : SEDDON, Malcolm  SRN : 3122

Occupation : Carrier

Rank : Driver, 5 Field Company Engineers, (November 1915)

Age : 27 Height : 179 Weight : 84

Enlisted : 14/07/1915 Embarked : 24/11/1915

Next of Kin :Father, William seddon, Hoddle-street, Collingwood

Football Career : 1911-15 1919-21 (Collingwood) 102 games, 56 goals

Military : Seddon and Rowe enlisted together. Seddon was promoted to the rank of Corporal, but perhaps his war years are best remembered for a horseshoe forged from a German shell casing which he forwarded to Collingwood where it became a prize piece of club memorabilia. Seddon embarked in England 23 March, 1919 for return to Australia. Seddon's career blossomed at a late stage - after resuming in 1919, he won Victorian selection in 1920 for the first time before retiring at the end of 1921 and serving Collingwood for many years as a selector and committeeman (some commentators suggest this was after recovering from the effects of being gassed, but there is nothing in his military records to support this). Like Rowe, Seddon also had a son that enlisted in World War 2. Born Collingwood, 31 May 1888, died 30 Abbotsford, August 1955 (aged 67)

Name : ROWE, Percy Edward (aka “Paddy Rowan”) SRN  924

Occupation : Plumber/Labourer

Rank : Lance Corporal, 29 Infantry Battalion (November 1915)

Age : 26 Height : 177 Weight : 80

Enlisted : 14/07/1915 Embarked : 10/11/1915

Next of Kin : Wife, Mrs Lucy Rowe, 123 Park Street, Abbotsford

Football Career : 1911-15 (Collingwood) 82 games, 28 goals

Military Rowe played under the name of "Paddy Rowan",  (which he had used in a boxing career) supposedly adopted some years earlier to disguise his identity when he was refused a clearance from Bendigo in 1911. He reached the rank of Sergeant before dying of gunshot wounds to the abdomen at the 38th Casualty Clearing Station near Heilly, France on 5 October, 1916. His remains were interred in the Heilly Station Cemetery, Mericourt-L'Abbe, France. Although just 27 years of age when he died, Rowe left an eight year old son, also Percy Edward who served in the Second World War.  Born St. Arnaud, 28 May 1889.

Of the others named as potential Camp inclusions, there was one known casualty, South Melbourne’s Jack Freeman.

Name : FREEMAN, Jack  SRN : 2477

Occupation : Joiner and cabinet maker

Rank : Sapper, 2 Field Company Engineers - 1 to 12 Reinforcement (December, 1914 - December, 1915)

Age : 26 Height : 177 Weight : 80

Enlisted : 05/07/1915 Embarked : 11/12/1915

Next of Kin : Father, Frederick Freeman, 33 Gooch Street, Northcote

Football Career : 1913-14 (South Melbourne) 22 games, 39 goals

Military :  Freeman reached the rank of Sergeant before dying of shell wounds to the abdomen and legs at the 7th Ambulance Train, Abincourt, France  on 5 November, 1916, some 13 days after being admitted. His left leg and right foot had been amputated in a vain attempt to save his lie - his emains were interred in the Heilly Station Cemetery, Mericourt-L'Abbe, France.  Jack had an elder brother, Arthur "Artie" Freeman (born 1887), who played 27 games with Collingwood between 1909 and 1910, one with Fitzroy in 1911, and then another single game with Essendon, also in 1911. Born Bairnsdale, 15 November 1891

In Memoriam ON ACTIVE SERVICE. FREEMAN - In loving memory of our beloved son and brother, Sapper Jack Freeman, 2nd Field Company Engineers, who died in France 11.11.1916 from wounds received. Inserted by his parents, sister and brother.

1915 The Volunteers

Backs :

Percy Rodriguez (Melbourne) **

Arthur Danks (Richmond)

Fred McIntosh  (Uni/Essendon) **

H-Backs :

J. A. Evans (Melbourne)

Alf. Baud (Carlton)

Charlie Lilley (Melbourne)

Centres :

James Jackson (Collingwood)

Jack Sheehan  (Coll'wood/Richmond)

Claude Thomas (St. Kilda) **

H-Forwards :

George Challis  (Carlton) **

Herb Burleigh (Carlton)

William Orchard (Geelong) (captain)

Forwards :

Percy Heron  (Fitzroy)

Fred Fielding (Carlton) **

Bruce Sloss (South Melbourne) **

Followers :

George King (Fitzroy)

Harry Collins (Fitzroy) **

George Heinz  (Haines)


Malcolm Seddon  (Collingwood)

"Paddy  Rowan" aka Percy Rowe (Collingwood) **








Tragically, eight of the twenty players listed ** never returned home, while another, South Melbourne’s Jack Freeman who was one of those nominated also died of service. This represents a casualty rate of 40%, compared with an overall of about 18% for those ebbarked.  The rate is even more remarkable given the none of the Camp team served during the Dardanelle campaign.

Most of the photos are from, this remarkable site provides extensive further details on each player - the heights, weights and ages below are from military records and may differ slightly from the site records. **