Control Data Australia Memories compiled by Brian Membrey
67 Bendigo Street, East Prahran
As vague as. John O'Neil raised faint memories of a pub to the east of Chapel Street amongst a number of high-
The history is a little bit tangled -
This, however, is somewhat misleading as the hotel appears to have been trading for a considerable time prior to that, seeking the supply of a bagatelle in January, 1860, mentioned in the suicide of a tenant the following year, and in a number of advertisements for staff prior to 1868.
Confusing this further are notes in the works of Robert J Coles, a noted historian of hotels, which place the first licensee of the Princess Royal hotel as James Merritt in 1854 -
Like many, the hotel underwent a couple of name changes..
In 1874 and its last days as the Emu, there were letters to newspapers when the Prahran Licensing Court refused to grant a transfer to a Mrs Emma Crocock whose late husband was the licensee before his death, on the grounds that she was a single woman and deemed not capable of running a hotel, yet in the cases immediately preceding and succeeding her hearing, licenses had been granted to single women.
(Single women had to be over the age of 25 years unless immediately family of the owner -
It appears to have then become known as the Princess Royal, the name under which it appears in Coles' works.
|Post Office Club|