Compiled for OzSportsHistory by Brian Membrey
The popular Richmond Racecourse was bounded by Bridge Road, Westbank Terrace and Stawell Street.
Westbank Terrace extends to Bendigo Street; the racecourse adjacent to today's Channel 9 studios
It is first noted as operating in 1892 under the auspices of the Richmond Pony and Galloway Club, although there is a belief it may have operated for some years prior to this .
Before his Collingwood tote was closed in 1906, John Wren bought the course and it became his main trotting track and was used for a number of sporting events including a much-
(Given the hyperbole of the day, the fight was promoted as "THE LIGHTNING-
Rather than a race meeting, however, it was a political rally that brought Richmond its biggest crowd.
In November, 1917, Wren, a devout Catholic, lent the venue for an Irish Home Rule meeting addressed by Archbishop Daniel Mannix, some 40,000 in attendance. Wren also granted many patriotic bodies use of Richmond for fund-
The Richmond racecourse as shown in a 1920 street directory (with a little help from Microsoft Paint) The finishing post and stands were on the eastern side next to Westbank Terrace.
An aerial shot, undated but probably prior to re-
It appears the course only survived through some political wheeling and dealing.
Richmond was just five furlongs, but the Premier, Thomas Bent (as many said, Bent by name and sometimes by nature) pushed through an amendment exempting the popular Richmond course from the provisions of the Act At the same time, he reduced the maximum number of meetings that could be conducted at each of Wren's Richmond, Ascot and Fitzroy tracks to 16 per year -
Other events including football and cricket, Wild West rodeos, but in 1908, Wren raised more eyebrows when he announced the Richmond Thousand (with prize money of £1,000, surprise), claimed to be the richest stake offered anywhere in the world for horses of 14 2 hands or under
The site was also Wren’s first venture into motor sport In 1913, he announce plans for motor racing, and despite a battle with authorities that believed that track of slightly more than half a mile in circumference may not be safe, he attained approval with the first meeting coming on 22 November
Richmond was also due for closure on 31 July, 1931 along with the other proprietary tracks, but was granted an extension to allow continuation of trotting meetings while the purpose built trotting track at Ascot was completed After pony and trotting ceased in 1932, the grounds were idle until 1938 when leased to the Light Car Club of Australia for dirt track racing Following complaints from residents over the noise and fumes, motor racing ceased in 1940.
There were several years of debate over the future of the site -
Tudor Street was constructed running south from Bridge Road, with O'Connell, Longfield, Lightfoot and Jackson Streets, all of a "dead-
This image shows 'Directly' winning the Hawthorn Handicap at Richmond Racecourse on 9 October, 1922, ridden by T Healey, owned and trained by W Coultas A large crowd is watching the race
In the background the Wertheim piano factory and its chimney are clearly visible (this is the complex now used by Channel Nine)
Image held at Richmond Library