Control Data Australia Memories compiled by Brian Membrey
Casa de Manana
384 St. Kilda Road, Melbourne
The main bar was on the corner, Control Data never used it, but Mike Spark will confirm it was aka as "Honeywell Head Office", and I remember a couple of visits there pre-
The Royal Domain Hotel opened in 1874, being first shown in the 1875 directory as on the corner of Albert Road and Park Streets.
The location appears impossible by today’s geography, but at the time the hotel opened, the section of St. Kilda Road from today’s Park Street corner to perhaps 75 metres north was considered Albert Road.
The original publican was William Prosser, but like several proprietors of new hotels, he lasted just one year before handing over to a long-
Although not reported in the daily press, a database of coronal enquiries reveals that Rivers’ death was attributed to a fall from a building – whether this was the hotel and the circumstances are sadly unknown. He left a sizeable estate valued at £5,033, his widow later running the hotel as Mrs Strickland after she married the new licensee in 1892.
The hotel was advertised for sale in 1906, the land 40 feet to St. Kilda Road and 100 feet along Park Street, two-
No mention was made of the condition of the hotel, but some twenty years later at the 1926 License Reductions Board hearings, Inspector Brown testified it “was the worst he had inspected” and that he did not think the hotel necessary for any purposes and that it should be the sixth hotel in the area to go He also added that the nearby Fawkner Hotel in Toorak Road was also not needed,
However, in the real estate world, the usual catch-
The hotel survived after counsel for the deceased owner's widow (Mrs A. Michael) suggested she was a life tenant at the hotel and that she had plans to rebuild the hotel after Probate was granted; the new structure to be a three storied building and construction to commence at the end of the year when the current lease expired.
The Swingin’ Sixties saw the hotel become La Casa de Manana (invariably, "Case of Bananas"), although by the time it closed in 1986 for office redevelopment, it had reverted to the Royal Domain.
The site is now a multi-
|Licenses Reduction Act|
|Six O'Clock Swill|
|Casa de Manana|
|The Light Car Club|